First Meeting at New Venue
Voyagers first meeting at the Friendship Hall in Hillcrest was a success! Members found the venue with no problems, and the room was ready for us. Thank you, University Christian Church for your hospitality!
- Toastmaster: Cynthia P
- Theme: Moving
- Word of the Day: Traverse
- Guest: Gideon S (returning visitor)
- First Timer: Maria F – Timer
- Table Topics: Nancy J
- Most Improved: Angelique H
- Best Evaluator: Jerry M
- Best Speaker: Jan C; Manual: Competent Communicator; Project #8 – Get Comfortable with Visual Aids; Title: “An Appealing Activity”
We need a new photo for Facebook, Meetup and website! If you have a photo to contribute, please contact any of the Board members.
Voyagers Toastmasters is moving Thursday February 16!
Voyagers will be moving from Old Town to Uptown, in the heart of Hillcrest. Thank you to Cafe Coyote for your hospitality over the past 8 years. We will miss the unique features that made our meetings memorable: Random mariachi music, our skeletal calacas friends, and the coyote! But now it is time to start a new page of Voyagers Toastmasters history in an vibrant new location. Don’t get left behind!
||7:00 a.m. until 8:30 a.m.
||Every Thursday except holidays
||Friendship Hall (on the campus of the University Christian Church)
3900 Cleveland Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103
(across from DMV parking lot and 92103 Post Office, at the intersection of Cleveland Avenue and Harvey Milk Street)
The venue is freeway close, near the CA-163 and I-8 interchange. The Friendship Hall is located through the gated courtyard (gate will be unlocked.) There is a small parking lot across from the DMV with 2 disabled parking spaces. In the morning, free street parking is readily available on Cleveland Avenue, Richmond Avenue, and other nearby streets.
List of meeting highlights
- Toastmaster: Mark I
- Theme: Fun with Phobias
- Word of the Day: Shudder
- Guests: Agosta (past Speechcrafter), Marco (past Voyager), Gideon S (returning guest)
- First Timer: Maria F – Topics Master
- Table Topics: Gideon S (guest)
- Most Improved: Maria F
- Best Evaluator: Annie J
- Best Speaker: Aim G; Manual: Humorously Speaking, Title: “Who do you think I am?”
The final meeting at Cafe Coyote was in the newly renovated Baja Room. The move to the UCC Friendship Hall was announced. Name badges were presented to Maria F and Cynthia P. The next Board meeting is Monday February 13 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. We will meet online in Zoom Meeting. All club members may participate. Contact the Board for information about Zoom Meeting.
The club met upstairs at the Coyote Cafe. We will be meeting here again next Thursday 2/9, while the club officers finalize our next venue. The finalists are Country Waffle at 2323 Midway Drive on the other side of the I-5 freeway; and the Friendship Hall located at 3900 Cleveland Avenue in Hillcrest. The search was detailed in Cynthia P’s report, which featured an interactive Google map of the venues under consideration.
List of meeting highlights:
- Toastmaster: Donna G
- Theme: Essential Oils
- Word of the Day: Volatile
- Table Topics: Annie J
- Most Improved: Angelique H
- Best Evaluator: Nancy J
- Best Speaker: Cynthia P; Speaking to Inform, Project #4 (A Fact Finding Report) – “Voyagers Venue Search Status”
- Angelique H rehearsed for an interview with KPBS later the same day on the topic of “Girls Club”